Paperback, 256 pp.
Translations include French, Turkish, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese.
Audio book: 6.5 hours in 6-CD set.
See booksellers like Amazon or audio libraries. $34.99 full retail.
A Guide for Under-mothered Adults
If your mother was too tired, too busy, or too checked out to provide all the nurturing you needed for a strong foundation, this book is for you. It will help you identify what was missing, how this relates to your mother’s own history and make-up, and what you can do now to fill the holes that were left by the mother who wasn’t fully there.
Healing is different for everyone but may involve:
- identifying and grieving what you missed
- coming into a caring relationship with the child inside of you and learning to mother yourself
- accepting nurturing from other adults who fill in for the missing mother
- meeting some of your earlier unmet needs with partners
- in-depth work with a psychotherapist around earlier attachment injuries
- opening to the archetype of the Good Mother, possibly taking a spiritual form
- proactively going after the support, mirroring, guidance and other mothering functions that were not sufficiently provided
Although not a workbook, there are questions and exercises throughout to help you reflect on your own experience.